I post this today with sadness for I wish there weren’t a world cancer day. What an awful sentiment as it means that cancer affects our world and all its inhabitants. Most of us know someone who has endured cancer either directly or indirectly. Being a cancer survivor myself, I can tell you how much it affects every single aspect of our lives and continues to affect our lives for as long as we live.
It matters not which cancer you are enduring for cancer is cancer.
But what you do with it matters.
How to help others who are enduring cancer:
1. Offer to cook/clean/babysit/drive to appointments/pick up prescriptions/grocery shop/do laundry
2. Go for a walk with the patient, take him/her for a drive to get out of the house
3. Schedule a time when you can stop by with fresh flowers/plant, a favorite confection, a new book/movie to enjoy
4. Send cards in the mail, a magazine subscription or just a little surprise something
5. Deliver a care package to the patient AND to the caregiver/family
6. Remind them all that you are here to help.