I’ve always liked the color pink and if truth be told, I’ve never been a tomboy…I’ve always been a bit of a girly girl. I was the one who didn’t want to get muddy or dirty, who threw like a girl (really!) and who always has her toenails painted pink (except during the holidays). However, for those of you who believe that PINK is a color that is for a wimpy girl, you are way wrong, baby!
Every breast cancer survivor will tell you that pink is NOT a wimpy color as it is a symbol of the survival of a journey of endurance which begins with a single step. This journey never truly ends even when the breast cancer is considered cured. Its tentacles, even 10 years later, slither through moments during the year when doctor appointments for check ups are necessary or when we wait a week for the blood test results. Even normal yearly trips to the gynecologist can result in an unbidden heightened sense of alarm if a Pap result isn’t normal because, quite frankly, the normal that we previously relied on isn’t normal anymore. In it’s place, comes a new normal that with time acclimates to our lives.
I was perusing blogs today and searched under breast cancer and what I found was alarming…so many women being diagnosed, being told their breast cancer had metastasized and even one who sadly told of her Mom’s recent passing from the disease. My heart went out to every one of them and all I wished to do was to hug them, let them know I understood and that it gets better ~ so here’s my short list of wisdom for today.
- There are good days and bad days.
- When you think you’re going through hell, keep walking, even if it’s only baby steps, one tiny step at a time.
- Stumbling is normal as is late night insomnia with the dreaded “what if’s” relentlessly circling in your brain.
- Bald can be beautiful. Let wig wearing be fun ~ try new styles & colors!
- People say dumb things.
- There are good and bad nurses/doctors who sometimes remember and sometimes forget that we are all human.
- Double mastectomy isn’t a death sentence to your femininity even when it feels that way.
- You will find what you are looking for so FACE THE SUN! face-the-sun
- Your body, your decision.
- YOU are the Boss of Your Life so BE the Boss.
- If you don’t want something done to you, then don’t do it.
- Speak up when you don’t understand.
- This is Your Body so be in touch with it, talk with it, be kind to it…it’s fighting for Your Life!
- Now’s the time to blossom ~ You have the Power and you’ve always had it!
- If you were like me, you shy-ed away from your power, but in having breast cancer, I have refound my power which encourages me to blossom!
I want you to know that I am here for you, I’ve walked this journey.
I’m still on the path enduring everyday along with the rest of humanity.
Life is what you make of it, so make it good for you!
Happy Sunday ~ or for you ice cream lovers ~ Happy Sundae!